Very sad news story for all dog lovers
Cathy Watson
2003-07-19 00:33:10 UTC
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=59145

I hope the police find the perpetrator soon. What happened to the
poor dogs was horrendous.

My best wishes to Sarah Roberts and her family.

-- Cathy
Melinda
2003-07-19 06:55:07 UTC
Post by Cathy Watson
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=59145
I hope the police find the perpetrator soon. What happened to the
poor dogs was horrendous.
If they had kept their dogs on a leash, like the law requires and like
any responsible dog owner would do anyway, then their dogs would still
be alive today. Those people aren't victims, they are negligent dog
owners and minor criminals, and their dogs are toast because of it. Too
bad. Maybe they'll take better care of the next dog they own.
Deb
2003-07-19 07:58:15 UTC
Subject: Re: Very sad news story for all dog lovers
Date: 7/18/03 11:55 PM Pacific
Those people aren't victims, they are negligent dog
owners and minor criminals, and their dogs are toast because of it.
While what you say is true the actions of this maniac could just as easily
resulted in the loss of a child. Would the parents then be 'minor criminals'
for not watching their kids for poison on the ground? Yes, off-leash dogs do
cause problems sometimes. It's something responsible owners deal with always.

Bless your heart, I am sure the owners have learned their lesson.

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
BrendaLee
2003-07-21 18:32:08 UTC
Date: 7/18/03 11:55 PM Pacific
Those people aren't victims, they are negligent dog
owners and minor criminals, and their dogs are toast because of it.
While what you say is true the actions of this maniac could just as easily
resulted in the loss of a child.
Yes. Loose dogs are a threat to children everywhere. Most dogs attacks
on children end with the death of the child.
Post by Deb
Would the parents then be 'minor criminals'
for not watching their kids for poison on the ground? Yes, off-leash dogs do
cause problems sometimes. It's something responsible owners deal with always.
If people were responsible they would have their dogs on a leash. Where
I live there is an active leash law. And yet I am bothered lots by dogs.
And it gets old... real fast.

I see a cage outside a home. I know it is a big dog by the size of the
cage. Petrified to walk by.. Don't even know what dog it is but I get
panic flowing through my body. And then the other day I saw the front
door wide open and there it is.. a shephard. Walking down the sidewalk
will put me within 12 ft. of this loose dog.

It's not right. It really isn't.
Post by Deb
Bless your heart, I am sure the owners have learned their lesson.
In my experience, they will just go out and get another dog.. And
everything will be the same.

BrendaLee
Post by Deb
Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
--
~~~~~~
BrendaLee

Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise
will, sooner or later, have to find time for illness.
---Edward Stanley, Earl of Derby, 1873
Nancy
2003-07-21 18:46:56 UTC
Also, as a mother of twins <21 yrs old now>, I used to take my kids to
Laurelhurst Park all the time <my son got his first broken wrist
there..LOL>, I cringe at this whole scenario because small children <and
not so small> roll around in the grass and put their hands in their
mouths, they could just as easily be poisoned as the dogs.
tweed
2003-07-21 20:37:25 UTC
Post by Nancy
Also, as a mother of twins <21 yrs old now>, I used to take my kids to
Laurelhurst Park all the time <my son got his first broken wrist
there..LOL>, I cringe at this whole scenario because small children <and
not so small> roll around in the grass and put their hands in their
mouths, they could just as easily be poisoned as the dogs.
Who gives a crap about your kids. Or anybody else's kids, for that
matter.
BrendaLee
2003-07-21 18:27:39 UTC
Post by Melinda
Post by Cathy Watson
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=59145
I hope the police find the perpetrator soon. What happened to the
poor dogs was horrendous.
If they had kept their dogs on a leash, like the law requires and like
any responsible dog owner would do anyway, then their dogs would still
be alive today. Those people aren't victims, they are negligent dog
owners and minor criminals, and their dogs are toast because of it. Too
bad. Maybe they'll take better care of the next dog they own.
Let me start with I am sorry about the way the dogs have died.

Don't know all the details but I assume they were not leashed. As a
person who was mauled in the face when I was 5 ish, to say I am
petrified of dogs, especially loose dogs... would be an understatement.

I find dog owners are from very lax to very rude in understanding that
while they love their dog it is a weapon to me. I am not safe on the
sidewalks, in hiking trails that have it spelled out that by law a dog
must be on a short leash, I'm afraid of electric fences and the way they
fail to keep the dog who is lunging at me within.

I am tired of trying to walk into a park and having a rottweiler
snarling at the entrance. What a way to start a lovely relaxing walk.
Not!

I respect people's right to have a dog. Hell, I grew up with many
myself.

But I am tired of loose dogs and dogs that are mean ruining my outside
life.

The laws will do something *after the fact*. Fines are given and perhaps
a biting dog is put down. But that is on the wrong side of a bite,
death, or terrorizing in my mind.

I am sad that someone had to go to that extreme and hurt dogs that did
not harm them. But the fact remains..... what are the people supposed to
do?

I was told to carry spray by the police, and that I can protect myself
in whatever ways I deem necessary. (Now I carry a long stick) There is
an active leash law where I live. Yet, I don't want to hurt an animal. I
don't want to spray pepper or something else into it's eyes. And yet, I
will not be bitten again.

Too bad people cannot just follow the law.

BrendaLee
--
~~~~~~

Robin
2003-07-21 23:10:07 UTC
They HAD to go to that extreme? Too twisted!
BrendaLee
2003-07-22 19:48:22 UTC
There could never be an excuse to poison any animal in my opinion.
There is never an excuse to let one's pet bully, bite, or inflict terror
on another person in my opinion.

Do you realize that there are many people out there who get a kick out
of their pets terrorizing others? I find that sad.

BrendaLee
--
~~~~~~

BrendaLee
2003-07-22 19:58:10 UTC
Post by BrendaLee
I am sad that someone had to go to that extreme and hurt dogs that did
not harm them. But the fact remains..... what are the people supposed to
do?
I was fairly disturbed by this statement that someone HAD to do this, so
being the curious person that I am I did a quick Google on your history on
usenet. You have a LONG history in social groups such as soc. singles,
romance, penpals, fat-acceptance, love, sex. However your posts to this one
single thread about an anonymous, evil, criminal are your only posts at all
in any dog related groups. Why is that? You don't live near Portland do
you?
I already posted that I meant to say "felt they had to" go to that
extreme.

I never knew this group existed till recently.
And that has what to do with my feelings about this matter?
This happens to be a very important subject to me. One I am dealing
with.

Are you trying to insinuate that I had something to do with this? Cause
it sounds as if you are. Just like everyone else here on usenet I have a
right to my opinion.

BTW, I don't post in half the groups you mentioned. And if you checked
me out then you also know I don't live anywhere near Portland, so why
the accusation? FWIW, I didn't expect people to like what I said. But it
comes from the heart.

My comment other than the correction stands. What are people supposed to
do? Stand there and be assaulted by someone else's pet? I disagree with
what that person is doing. But I can also understand there is more here
than meets the eye, as I am sure they will find out when that person is
caught..
--
~~~~~~

Robin
2003-07-22 22:46:40 UTC
Post by BrendaLee
I already posted that I meant to say "felt they had to" go to that
extreme.
I posted last night, before your "correction"
Post by BrendaLee
I never knew this group existed till recently.
And that has what to do with my feelings about this matter?
This happens to be a very important subject to me. One I am dealing
with.
Despite your protestations to the opposite, you seem quite supportive of
what this person has done, posting multiple times about this ONE subject in
a newsgroup you have never visited before. You do not have an *interest* in
dogs, you have a *fear* of dogs. Perhaps you could get better support and
help in a phobia newsgroup. There are several.
Post by BrendaLee
BTW, I don't post in half the groups you mentioned. And if you checked
me out then you also know I don't live anywhere near Portland, so why
the accusation? FWIW, I didn't expect people to like what I said. But it
comes from the heart.
If you don't post to them, then someone using your e-mail does

http://tinyurl.com/hqf4

See... about 42000 posts worth.
BrendaLee
2003-07-25 02:01:38 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by BrendaLee
I already posted that I meant to say "felt they had to" go to that
extreme.
I posted last night, before your "correction"
I am aware of that. I also noticed that you did not apologise.
Post by Robin
Post by BrendaLee
I never knew this group existed till recently.
And that has what to do with my feelings about this matter?
This happens to be a very important subject to me. One I am dealing
with.
Despite your protestations to the opposite, you seem quite supportive of
what this person has done,
You really have no right nor basis to make a statement such as this.
Ask yourself if you would like it were you me.
Post by Robin
posting multiple times about this ONE subject in
a newsgroup you have never visited before.
I am a budding journalist and this subject is one that interests me.
People that are passionate about things do tend to want to talk about
them.
Post by Robin
You do not have an *interest* in
dogs, you have a *fear* of dogs.
While entitled to your opinion, you really don't have any basis for this
claim either. As a matter of fact, I grew up raising dogs. We bred Irish
Setters, as well as had English Setters, Collies [toys, standards,
etc.,] a few German Shepherds, as well as others.

Our dogs were the kind that you could take a bone right from their
mouths. And they never growled at us nor at others.

I admittedly have a fear based on a real life dog attack/mauling. I have
a fear based on stupid owners who do not act responsibly when they are
in possession of a weapon that is just as dangerous as a loaded gun.
Post by Robin
Perhaps you could get better support and
help in a phobia newsgroup. There are several.
I don't have a phobia and I am not looking for support.
Post by Robin
Post by BrendaLee
BTW, I don't post in half the groups you mentioned. And if you checked
me out then you also know I don't live anywhere near Portland, so why
the accusation? FWIW, I didn't expect people to like what I said. But it
comes from the heart.
If you don't post to them, then someone using your e-mail does
I have been forged at times. But that is beside the point.
Post by Robin
http://tinyurl.com/hqf4
See... about 42000 posts worth.
And that has what to do with what exactly...?

:)
BrendaLee
--
~~~~~~

Deb
2003-07-19 23:50:34 UTC
Date: 7/19/03 3:06 PM Pacific
(whoosh) (the sound of my point going over your head)

Reasonable people seek reasonable solutions. My comment was sarcastic,
addressed to another poster.

I am fortunate to live in an area where having my dog off-leash is not a
problem where I take them.I am sorry for Portland, for what I thought was a
fairly cool place to be. I follow the laws when applicable, then use my good
judgement if I'm not sure. And I do agree that having dogs on-leash in a
crowded public place is a sound rule. Again, my comments were toward another
poster who seemed bent on making extremely cruel comments about the horrific
loss of these pets. And I stand behind what I said before: if there was enough
poison to kill a large dog there was most certainly enough to do great and
possibly fatal harm to a child.

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
Michelle
2003-07-20 19:11:43 UTC
Post by Deb
(whoosh) (the sound of my point going over your head)
First off, I was not replying to your sarcasm I was replying to
Melinda's comment that these ppl are minor criminals and their dogs
are dead because of it, too bad....

I agree that kids could be at danger and also stand by my point that
if I have to supervixe and leash my pet why don't parents??? Portland
is a cool place to be I miss it terribly and they do have some off
leash parks but people are lazy and don't use them when there is a
much more convenient place across the street, SOME dog owners and SOME
bicyclists in Portland (and many other places) feel they are above the
law and should have so called equality while infringing on other ppl's
rights.... that doesn't mean animals should die.
Robin
2003-07-21 00:25:29 UTC
Date: 7/20/03 12:11 PM Pacific
Sorry, this entire business makes me extremely sick at heart. It angers me
that
come folks actually think this is 'fair' punishment for having your dog
off-leash. I'm afraid I have let this color my posts, sorry.
Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
BrendaLee
2003-07-21 18:47:21 UTC
Date: 7/20/03 12:11 PM Pacific
Sorry, this entire business makes me extremely sick at heart. It angers me that
come folks actually think this is 'fair' punishment for having your dog
off-leash. I'm afraid I have let this color my posts, sorry.
I can see you are a dog lover. And that is fine. :)

This dog issue is a growing problem that no one seems to want to
handle...
What do you think saying "you're sorry "to a family who has lost a
child, or part of their child's body part(s) to a dog that got loose or
wasn't leashed?

What is fair to them people?

A stray dog attacked me as a child. There was no one to blame. No one to
hold accountable.
The scars are long gone.. The memory and the fear live on. I have
resigned myself to the fact that it will most likely never go away.
And that is not fair either.

My father went looking for the dog when they said I needed rabies shots
in my stomach (don't know what that entails now but then it was long
needles inserted into the stomach) if they did not have the dog to
check.

He went looking for it. And it attacked him. So he killed it. And then
brought it in.

BrendaLee
Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
--
~~~~~~

BrendaLee
2003-07-21 18:39:57 UTC
Date: 7/19/03 3:06 PM Pacific
(whoosh) (the sound of my point going over your head)
Reasonable people seek reasonable solutions. My comment was sarcastic,
addressed to another poster.
I am fortunate to live in an area where having my dog off-leash is not a
problem where I take them.I am sorry for Portland, for what I thought was a
fairly cool place to be. I follow the laws when applicable, then use my good
judgement if I'm not sure. And I do agree that having dogs on-leash in a
crowded public place is a sound rule. Again, my comments were toward another
poster who seemed bent on making extremely cruel comments about the horrific
loss of these pets. And I stand behind what I said before: if there was enough
poison to kill a large dog there was most certainly enough to do great and
possibly fatal harm to a child.
You might be right about the poison.

Do you think it is fun to go hiking and have to keep dodging piles of
dog mess on the trail? I think people's level of respect goes down
tremendously.

People walk their dogs and let them go to the bathroom on your lawn and
just keep walking if you don't stop them and make them clean it up.

What is wrong with people?

Not talking about you..
BrendaLee (sorry bout the ranting.)
Post by Deb
Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
--
~~~~~~

KlipIt
2003-07-21 04:20:23 UTC
I just read this story whoever is planting poison is "one sick puppy".
I do not live in the area and have no knowledge as to whether that
particular park allows dogs off leash but because so many dogs have
been poisoned it seems to be "common practice' to let dogs off leash
there. and to those posting that the owners got their "just deserts"
because of letting their dogs explore has obviously does not
understand the joy of owning a dog. not just dominating a dog
-- Cathy
Nancy
2003-07-21 16:19:58 UTC
I am in Portland and we know that at least one dog was on a leash when
he put his head into a bush and injested something..

There is a huge dispute here right now about dogs allowed to run in
parks unleashed...we did have a couple of parks that had unleashed areas
and they were closed for some reason..Larelhurst has never had an
unleashed area probably because they have a pond with ducks that are
supposed to be protected and dogs chase them...that is no excuse to
poison dogs but they think that this dispute is why someone went off the
deep end...one news story I read said that the police have recieved a
notice from someone claiming responsibility and and said they will start
on Mt. Tabor next <Mt. Tabor is a huge park that used to have one of the
off leash areas>.

I don't drive which is the reason I love Portland, we have one of the
best public transit systems in the Country but I have had a problems
with off leash dogs running up to me as I'm walking to the bus or light
rail....I haven't been bitin but I have been jumped on and had dogs
barking at my heels, sometimes the owners are with the dogs, sometimes
they're not...I love dogs <and all animals> but I don't trust them all
and I shouldn't have to deal with other peoples animals....thats still
no reason to poison any animal but if dogs are off a leash then the
irresponsible pet owner should be fined or cited in some way.
Deb
2003-07-21 17:23:00 UTC
Date: 7/21/03 9:19 AM Pacific
I totally understand what you are saying. Responsible pet owners get the rap
for the unresponsible ones all the time. You certainly should not have to worry
about unleashed dogs. I do hope this madness stops soon.

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
BrendaLee
2003-07-22 20:06:52 UTC
Date: 7/21/03 9:19 AM Pacific
I totally understand what you are saying. Responsible pet owners get the rap
for the unresponsible ones all the time.
That is the truth and it colors the landscape in all of life. There are
always some that ruin things for others.
Post by Deb
You certainly should not have to worry
about unleashed dogs.
I realize you were not talking to me, but thank you for saying this.
Post by Deb
I do hope this madness stops soon.
I do too.

BrendaLee
Post by Deb
Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
--
~~~~~~

BrendaLee
2003-07-21 20:33:18 UTC
Post by Nancy
[...]
Hello.

If you are ever bitten your whole outlook will change. It's true.
Post by Nancy
I haven't been bitin but I have been jumped on and had dogs
barking at my heels, sometimes the owners are with the dogs, sometimes
they're not...I love dogs <and all animals>
but I don't trust them all
You would be wise not to.
Post by Nancy
and I shouldn't have to deal with other peoples animals....
No. You should not.
Post by Nancy
thats still
no reason to poison any animal but if dogs are off a leash then the
irresponsible pet owner should be fined or cited in some way.
I want more than a cite. With the measly, paltry fines they give, even
after the death of a child I think it sucks.

And that is more than likely what they will find when this poisoner of
dogs is caught. A fine is what one gives when you are having a
neighborly dispute, not when someone has had their body injured by an
animal. I bet this person got no help from the authorities in this
matter. So people tend to take things into their own hand.

You notice that the police are armed against a dog attack at all times.
Both with firearm and with mace/club. Yet many places leave the average
joe hanging out there on their own. And truly what good does it do to
call the police "after" you have been bitten? There is 100% no solace
there for me.

It should be safe to walk the streets without fear of someone's "pet"
attacking you. I really am tired of the stupidity of it all. If I wanted
to walk in fear of an animal attack I would go into the woods.

Like I said this has always been an issue having been mauled in the face
as a child. But I had some broken ribs recently. The only exercise I was
able to do was walk very slow so as to not upset my breathing which made
me in considerable pain. And the fear, anxiety, and apprehension from
barking dogs and dogs rushing against electric fences drove me home in
tears. There was no way I could defend myself. I could not run away from
them, nor protect myself even with a stick. And I think it sucks that
people are living in fear of other's animals.

Sixtyish woman walking to church. A man here was shoveling a few years
back when two rottwielers got loose and tore down his street just
lifting him up and thrashing him about like a rag doll. The tally is
adding up. Time to do something about this issue.

There are thousands of dog attacks each year. It seems we only hear of
the few breeds that are known to be vicious but there are injuries
occurring from numerous breeds. There are instances of pomeranians
killing 2 week old babies.

BrendaLee
--
~~~~~~

Jeremy
2003-07-21 14:21:54 UTC
It would make sense to target the 'useless breeds'?!?!?!?
You are an idiot! I think you and Melinda are in the wrong news
group. Try this link:
rec.pets.dogkillers.com
This is an NG for people who care about dogs. You obviously have no
interest or compassion at all so please do us all a favor and stay out
of this group.
Sounds to me like you are the one with issues. Why are you wasting
your time here?
Jeremy
it would make sense to target the 'useless breeds' for these attacks (Pit
Bulls, Rottweillers, Bull Terrier and all above mixes). As we know, the
abovementioned breeds are dangerous and people killers. Too bad this person
setting the booby traps is being careless with his breed selection. I hope an
innocent child doesn't ingest this stuff and get hurt. Then, I would support
finding this s.o.b. and hanging him/her by the ****. As far as the dogs, well,
they are just domesticated animals. If people need a domesticated animal to
'balance' their lives out, then I think they have other 'issues' that need to
be tended to.
Eric G.
education CANNOT buy common sense
BrendaLee
2003-07-21 18:33:46 UTC
Are parents who allow their kids to wander in a park breaking a law?
No. Are dog owners who do not leash their dogs breaking a law? Yes.
Depends... some parks allow dogs off lease.
Any park I have ever been in states clearly with signs in detail that
DOGS ARE TO BE LEASHED and on a very short lead. Yet every time I hike I
have to hide behind my walking pal because I am scared.

BrendaLee
Laura B.
--
~~~~~~